Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Foodie

Many people consider a foodie to be someone who enjoys fine cuisine. You know, the kind of people who don't eat dinner until 9pm, expect the meal to have at least four courses, and want a specific wine to go with each dish.

In the circle I travel in, a foodie means something completely different.  Instead of being someone who enjoys fine dining it is used to refer to a person who would like to practice medicine on animals that make (or are made into) food.

Tonight I decided that there is a third definition for the term foodie.  For me, a foodie has become the teeny, tiny amount of sustenance that I manage to consume at one time.  Because I don't really get to eat "food," I get bits and piece.  Little foodies.

Breakfast (a meal I eat grudgingly because I don't particularly like food early in the day) is consumed as I'm running out the door.  Lunch, which I have to eat while driving between appointments (and so is always something blah like a boring sandwich that won't fall apart as I hold it and eat one handed) is almost invariably interrupted by another call "on the way" so that instead of having 20 minutes to eat, I have like... 4.  And by the time I'm back in the truck my body has given up hope of food and I'm not longer hungry.

Dinner I do get to eat the days I'm not on call.  Unless I get sent on a 5pm call an hour away from home that takes at least an hour to do, resulting in an 8pm quit time.  If I were a foodie in the first sense of the word that would be perfect, but alas, I am not a first type foodie and I'm sure as hell not cooking for one after 8pm.  Days that I am on call are just hit or miss.  I don't try to make an actual meal, just consume enough calories to keep going.  Of course that isn't fool proof either, usually because horse people are freaking nuts.

So it's almost 11pm. Today I managed to consume an English muffin, half of a sandwich, 2 bottles of Gatorade, and 8 strawberries.  I shudder to think what would happen if I didn't have this job and was able to maintain a balanced diet with regular meals.  I would probably weigh a ton.

No comments:

Post a Comment