Monday, September 30, 2013

New Directions

Wow, what a whirlwind this past week has been.  I maybe should have taken a little more time between ending one job and starting another, but on the other hand after 3 days of "unemployment" was literally about to bounce off the walls from lack of activity.  Anyway, after that I experienced more social activity in the past 3-4 days than I've had in the last 3-4 months.  Let me catch you all up:

Monday: finished my old job, then movers
Tuesday: cleaning service
Wednesday: carpet cleaners and landlord checkout
Thursday: met the staff at my new job
Friday: dinner with some South Carolina midshipmen, then out for drinks with their lieutenants
Saturday: regatta in the morning, football in the afternoon, out for dinner in the evening, night tour of the observatory and wine overlooking the best view in the city
Sunday: Julie and Sherrie take on D.C. (or at least one metro line, one museum, and one restaurant)

Then today was my very first day  as a small animal practitioner.  And it. Was. Great!  First of all, my commute takes me past the national monuments on the other side of the river, which is just cool.  I get to drive against traffic which makes the trip not that bad.  Everyone was so incredibly open and friendly and helpful.  They purposefully scheduled a light morning so they would have time to get me acclimated rather than just throwing me into a whirlwind.  The staff is scarey efficient and get this: doctors just do the doctor jobs, just like they talked about in vet school.

The funniest moment was finding a lab coat for me to wear since the ones they had ordered from my have not yet arrived.  The closest size they could find to fit me falls to below my knees, I had to roll up the sleeves, and you could have put another person inside the jacket.  I'm sure you can imagine the good-natured comments that were made.  At the end of the day, I feel good; I'm not tired and run-down or beaten up.  I feel excited to become more hands-on with patients as I re-learn the ins and outs of small animal medicine, and I feel hopeful about the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment