Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Fourth Thoughts

First things first.  A big thank you to the men and women of the armed forces who are doing what most people (including me) are unwilling to do. Also many thanks to their families to who give just as much as those in uniform.

Now, I have a few thoughts about the horrible storm that went through West Virginia last week and resulted in a state of emergency.  I'm incredibly thankful that I am not having to go through this and I'm truly sympathetic to those of you who are.  But, as bad as it is, I know West Virginia is one of the places that can handle it, for no other reason that it's still a place where people take care of each other. I'm sure the rest of the affected states will eventually figure things out as well.

On to the logistics.  Many of the structures that were destroyed are in difficult to get to areas and there are not "extras" just lying around to be put up in their places.  These crews are working 16 hour shifts, in 90+ degree temperatures, in direct sunlight... and a whole lot of them have been brought in from multiple states away.  They are away from their families, living in group housing, and you all have to admit that in these kind of conditions, no matter how much they are being paid, it's not enough. So that crew... that guy hanging off the electric pole a couple streets up from you?  The one that you posted a nasty message about because they left after finishing that street?  Shame on you.  He's probably not a local, and going to West Virginia to work over a holiday was probably not on his bucket list.  He's going where his bosses send him and fixing things (correctly) as quickly as he can.  And he would probably appreciate a glass of sweet tea.  So can the negative talk about the electric companies and how their workers are handling things.  Be grateful that more lives were not lost and that aid has been available for those who need it.  Oh, and when you're posting all your thanks to god for restoring your power, maybe send a shout out to the power crews too.

On a lighter note, I was very excited to have a holiday off.  Usually holidays land on my on-call days, so even though I don't have scheduled appointments, I do have to handle all the emergencies (and usually I'm covering for at least 1 other vet/practice as well).  To celebrate I decided to go out and check out some retail sales; you know, support the economy.   A dozen or so stores (and dressing rooms) later, I had purchased exactly nothing I was feeling pretty bad about myself because that's what stores do to girls who aren't 6 feet tall and weigh more than 100 pounds.  I really don't have time or energy to exercise more right now, so I came up with an alternative solution.  I got myself a low-fat frozen yogurt and went to Walmart.

Wrong? Probably.  Effective?  Absolutely!

No comments:

Post a Comment