Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Leg Lamp

I am not a fa-la-la-la Christmas fanatic.  I won't put the tree up until December and it comes down by January 2nd.  I buy my Christmas cards for the following year in January from bargain bins, and spend the entire year maintaining lists of gift ideas for the various people in my life so that I don't have to stress about what to get someone with the holidays breathing down my neck.  By the time Black Friday rolls around, most of my shopping is either already done or will be completed online.  Getting me into a mall or large retail store after Halloween is damn near impossible since I do not feel that people throwing elbows over discount electronics and toys is an appropriate celebration of the holiday season.

The downside of the whole situation is when you find that most perfect gift for someone and purchase it a couple months before the gift-giving opportunity.... and then the someone decides that they will no longer be a part of your life....  you may be stuck with a gift that is subsequently homeless. 

Meet the Leg Lamp.
 
This iconic item from the "A Christmas Story" movie is actually available for purchase.  Don't get too excited, I did not purchase the full sized version.  But I did buy a scaled down version desktop size.  It even came in a cardboard box printed like the box in the movie.  It was as gloriously tacky as I could have dreamed and was destined to be the most perfect Christmas gift I had ever found.  Until, well.... you can guess.

BUT, by the grace of the Ebay gods, today I was notified that the abandoned little Leg Lamp has found a home.  As a special Christmas gift to the anonymous Ebay member, I am going to ship them their package overnight for no extra charge.  I wish them the very merriest of Christmases and hope that their last-minute (in my opinion) purchase gets a lot of smiles on Christmas morning.  I think that's the least the Leg Lamp deserves, don't you agree?

No comments:

Post a Comment