Sunday, January 29, 2012

Alone

My truck broke down tonight.  As I was on my way home from an emergency, the intermittent rough grinding noise that I had been telling the mechanics about (but they couldn't recreate) got about 10 times worse and the truck would no longer shift into gear.

I put in a call to my boss, no answer.  Left a message and waited.  And waited and waited.  As I was waiting I had a sobering realization.  Other than my boss, there is not one single person within a 4 hour distance who would actually care that I was broken down on the side of a country road at night.  Not one.

I spend 50-60 hours a week seeing appointments.  I'm on-call for a week at a time, every other week, which means that I spend literally half of my life on-call.  It is not a situation conducive to making friends.

I'm good at my job, but I'm very alone.  Is this what I'm supposed to be doing?  Is this where I'm supposed to be?

No comments:

Post a Comment