Monday, January 9, 2012

Superstitions

Prior to becoming a veterinarian I was not a superstitious person.  I walked under ladders, ignored black cats, and if a mirror broke I was more concerned about getting the mess cleaned up than a run of bad luck. But these days I don't just have a couple superstitions, I have multiple.  Here are the top 5:

5) Less than three gallons of mineral oil in the truck will result in an outbreak of impaction colics and/or grain overloads.
4) Less than two pairs of clean coveralls in the truck will result in multiple dystocias.
3) I don't turn the page in my appointment book the night before.  Doing so is a guarantee of an 11:45pm emergency.
2) I take my work phone to the bathroom with me.  If I don't, it will ring, even if it has been quiet all day.
1) I don't turn off my GPS until I'm parked and have turned off the ignition.  Premature GPS shutdown is the number one cause of a last minute appointment.

Yes large animal owners of Maryland and Pennsylvania, your sane, rational, talks-you-off-the-ledge-because-you're-a-nut-job veterinarian... is in fact a superstitious freak.  You made me this way. 

1 comment:

  1. I've got new superstitions too...Aaron Ray will come in at the end of the day and say "What, no emergency calls tonight?" and I will either not respond at all or say "We don't talk about it." Talking about it = emergency call within 5-10 minutes.

    ReplyDelete