Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Compliments

I'm human, and humans like being complimented (it's an ego thing).  Since I spend my days covered in various bodily fluids, compliments directed at me are never about my appearance and tend to go something like this:

"Wow, you handled Mr. Crazy-Ass Horse with No Manners really well!  He only rammed you into the wall twice and last year he threw the vet into the wall at least 5 times."

"I really appreciate how sweet you were to Ms. Hundred Year Old Decrepit Goat.  It's like you understand how frail she is and that I love her need her to live forever."

"Did you grow up on a farm?  It seems like you've actually got some common sense and creativity about working with cattle, which is nice since I do not have, nor do I intend to get, a proper restraint system."

And today, during the most difficult calving I have ever had to attend I got a really awesome compliment.  A dairy farmer said to me, "Damn girl, you are strong!"  And my adrenaline was pumping fast and furious, so I was like, "Hell yeah I am!" 

In a world where the media tells us that women are supposed to be pretty first and then smart/strong/capable, it feels really good to be appreciated for my brains, strength, and abilities. I'm not society's feminine ideal, but that's okay.  I am woman, hear me roar!

No comments:

Post a Comment