Thursday, February 16, 2012

Death and Taxes

"In this world nothing can said to be certain, except death and taxes."  ~Benjamin Franklin

I don't have much to say about death other than it's just a part of life.

Taxes on the other hand... ugh.  I had my yearly date with one of Uncle Sam's minions this week and now I need to vent a little. 

Per my W-2 form, the government took over 27% of my salary this year.  Most of it went to the federal government, a big chunk went to Social Security (that economists say I'll never benefit from), another piece went to Medicare (I pay for my own health insurance), and the last bit went to the state of Maryland.  Regardless of the breakdown, that's a lot given that I'm also paying the government a significant amount of money for allowing me to spend 8 years in college/professional school. 

Speaking of student loan debt... anyone still in school, listen up.  I know that all along the way they tell you that it's okay to take out student loans because they are tax deductible.  Which is true.  Kinda.  Here is the fine print.  No matter how much money you pay back in a year, you can only deduct $2500.  Sucks, right?  It gets worse.  For every penny you make over $60K, the amount you can deduct goes down. So instead of a refund, this year I am required to pay additional taxes.  Because, you know, I have spare money just laying around and no idea what to do with it.  

The most ridiculous part of the whole experience was that my tax professional took it upon himself to advise me of how to gain additional deductions.  His first suggestion was that I adopt a child.  That's right.  Knowing that I'm a 28 year old, single female who rents, and works the equivalent of two full-time jobs, he decided that best way for me to get a tax refund (and thus have a more money) would be to add a child to my life.  Oh, and apparently I don't look fertile enough to make one of my own.  Ugh.

Death and taxes.  Ben Franklin was one smart cookie.

No comments:

Post a Comment