Monday, February 18, 2013

Cash and Kinklings

Throughout the day my boss leaves me voicemails with additions or changes to the schedule and I call her when I finish appointments so that she can keep track of me geographically as I move throughout the practice area.  Thus, if an emergency is called in during the day she can decide which of us is closer to go handle it.  Despite Verizon's maps and claims there are black holes, and sometimes messages are a little garbled.

Friday's message went something like this: "Julie, Mrs.Client's horse is colicking and I need you to go.  He is uncomfortable and laying down, but not rolling.  Apparently her kid didn't lock a gate last night and the horse ate a whole box if kink...*static static static* ...be pretty aggressive in your treatment. Call her when you are on the way."

The horse ate a box of WHAT???  As luck would have it, my boss wasn't available to clarify the message and the owner's phone went straight to voicemail where I left my ETA.  Which was almost an hour.  An hour to do nothing but drive and think about what the heck a box of "kink" could be and why a horse would eat it.  I refrained from Googling the words "kink" and "horse food" together.  I don't even want to imagine the results.


That, my friends, is a kinkling.  If you Google the word "kinkling," all the results are about Frederick County, Maryland.  Seems they are a Shrove Tuesday tradition in this very narrow section of the world.  Basically it's a big-ass, deep-fried doughnut.  Seriously, this thing was 2 inches thick, bigger around than my hand, and heavy enough to be used as a blunt weapon.  The local volunteer fire department made 320 DOZEN of these things and my client brought some of the extras home to feed the ducks.

Cash is a well known medical trouble maker.  He's one of those horses you wish you could bubble wrap, just to slow down the injuries.  Cash pushed open an unlatched gate and ignored 200 pounds of horse feed to eat a banana box full of kinklings.  I kept calling them kinkles (and the owner kept laughing and correcting me).  The picture is of one surviving kinkling that she had inside so that I could remember the day I thought the horse ate a box something kinky. 

Fortunately with some pain medication and a heavy dose of mineral oil, Cash made a full recovery.  Maybe he learned his lesson, but I'm sure I'll be seeing him again soon.  Hopefully not for a case of the kinklings though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment