Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Vets Are People Too

When I see clients out in the real world lots of time they don't even recognize me until I say hello. When they do they are very awkward, like they don't know how to process me out of context.  I have no idea why.  It's not like I'm going to yell at them for going to the movies instead of staying home and cleaning the barn.

Anyway, Zoo Man saw me at the grocery store today.  I was shopping, he was having lunch in the deli.  He called me over and we exchanged some pleasantries.  Then he proceded to tell me that he almost didn't say anything because he wasn't sure it was me.  In his words, "I was thinking, that girl looks kind of like Julie would if she ever had her hair down, but she's a lot smaller than Julie... holy shit, that IS her."  I decided to interpret that as I look better (or at least slimmer) when I'm not wearing three layers of work clothes.

So for any clients past, present, or future who may read this, here is a little bit about me when I'm not being your vet.
  •  I read a lot.  Keeping with family tradition, I'm a total sucker for romance novels (but no, I have not and do not intended to read the 50 Shades books).  I also read popular fiction and am working slowly through a book about wine.  I hardly ever read veterinary stuff other than skimming some magazines; I got enough of that kind of reading during vet school, thank you very much.
  • I had a bad bout of insomnia once so I taught myself how to knit.  When friends make babies, I make them baby blankets.  Then I use the extra supplies to make baby hats/booties/clothes that I donate to charity.
  • I hate reality television.  I love syndicated sitcoms. 
  • I like to cook, but I wish more recipes were written for 1 or 2 servings so that I didn't have eat the same thing for a week.
  • I like yoga.  I hate running.
So, if you see your veterinarian out in the world, remember that they have lives completely separate from the exam room or pickup truck.  They don't live in lab coats and coveralls.  So get rid of the shocked/guilty look and say hello.  We know you are people.  Remember that we are people too.

 

1 comment:

  1. Just another symptom of the "you are what you do" mentality... "What you do", sadly, means "job" to most people.

    ReplyDelete